Used To vs. Used To

Recently I have come across a grammar point that has really been troubling my students. "Used to" vs. "Used to". Confusing? Yes because that is probably how you are hearing it in your head. However it is not really like that. Let me explain.....

How do I explain the difference between "I'm used to" and "I used to"?


"I'm used to" is used to talk about something that you have become accustomed to or that is familiar to you. For example, "I'm used to waking up early in the morning." or "When Sofía first moved to England, she wasn’t used to driving on the left, and she nearly had an accident."


"I used to" is used to talk about something that you did regularly in the past but no longer do. For example, "I used to play the piano when I was younger." or "My younger sister Amanda doesn’t like animals, but she is getting used to having my pet dog around."


Let's Practice....

Task 1

Complete the sentences below with the following verbs: aren’t / get / gotten / am / was getting / wasn’t

1. I don’t mind living in a city now because I _________ used to the noise of the traffic.

2. I thought everyone was unfriendly at first because I _____________ used to their ways.

3. Did it take you long to _____________ used to the food in this country?

4. We’ve never _______________ used to the way that people kiss you on both cheeks.

5. A lot of Northern Europeans burn in the sun because they _______________ used to it.

6. Just as I ________________ used to the idea, she changed her mind.

Task 2

Choose the correct option.

1. I find it hard to be / get used to speaking another language.

2. My grandfather hasn’t been / gotten used to using the Internet yet.

3. Before we moved, I wasn’t / didn’t used to having a big room.

4. I think I’m used to see / seeing you with short hair now.

5. We’re slowly being / getting used to having new neighbours.

6. I can’t be / get used to going to bed early. It’s impossible!

7. I’ve been playing in a team for ages so I am / get used to training in the evenings.

8. I find exams very stressful. I can’t be / get used to doing them.

Task 3

Write the phrases in the email: get used to (x2) got used to /‘m used to /‘m getting used to /‘m not used to

Hi Zac!
How’s it going? I’ve just finished my first week at university. It’s different from school, but I _________________ 
 it bit by bit. I haven’t had my lectures yet – I ______________________ having so much free time! We’re expected to study independently though and I haven’t ______________________ doing that yet. Things are more informal than school. I ______________________ calling teachers “Sir” or “Miss” and I can’t _________________________ using their first names. It’s really strange.
I have to give a presentation tomorrow. I’m really nervous. I don’t think I’ll ever ______________________ 
speaking in public. Wish me luck!

Jessica

English grammar is fun