I Like... Like Death Metal

Do you like music? Like what? Me? I like death metal. Most people don’t like it though. They think it sound like monsters screaming. I think it’s like really exciting! I want to… like… listen to it everyday!

In my short story you might have noticed that I used the word “LIKE” in it’s five different styles.

1. Like what?  “Like” was used to ask for or give examples of what is being talked about.

2. I like death metal. “Like” was used to express interest.

3. They think it sound like monsters screaming. “Like” is used as a preposition to mean that it is similar to something.


4. I think it’s like really exciting! “Like” is used as a highlighter (bring attention to) what we are going to say next. We often do this with times and amounts.


5. I want to… like… listen to it everyday! “Like” is used as a filler when we need time to think, or to rephrase what we are going to say next.


Are you able to use “Like” in all five of it’s styles correctly? Which one is… like… the most difficult for you?